Have my dreams of travel faded into a faraway place?
I received this post from a person who wishes to remain anonymous and I think it’s kind of sad – your thoughts?
Let’s call her Jennie,
I have spent years wanting to travel around the world, see new things, experience a different way of life and meet new people. I also have always wanted to share my experiences with others because I believe many would like to do what I want to do.
So why haven’t I done it?
That’s a really big question and I don’t think there is just one answer.
Fear is one answer but fear of what? Fear of the unknown has never been a problem for me. I think it is fear of failing others and not living up to what is expected of me. Fear of not meeting their expectations and wishes for me. I believe it is a part of my generation – wanting to please everyone and I am definitely guilty of it, big time. Fear of being thought to be irresponsible.
I also know what I don’t want and they are listed below:
- I don’t want to get up every day feeling as if I had nothing to look forward to.
- I want to feel as if I am in control of my future
- I don’t want to have to go for a drive with my husband just to kill time
- I want to feel something beyond hopelessness
- I want to be excited about a new experience
- I don’t ever want to take a sleeping pill in the afternoon just to get through one more day
- I want my family to feel good for me because I am doing something I love
- I don’t want a financial commitment of a mortgage or debt – it is a prison that I might not escape from
- I don’t want to be restricted by someone else’s fears and worries
- I don’t want to have to give up my dreams for someone else’s
- I don’t want to waste the next ten years of my life because I am getting to an age where I can’t afford to
I hope the person who wrote this realizes how important it is to follow their own dreams of travel – especially when they mean so much. What do you think?