Let me introduce Guatemala and the 6 best things to do in Antigua, Guatemala
Each time I visit Antigua, Guatemala I learn more about this vibrant destination. It’s filled with incredible sights, lots of outdoor activities and some amazing cultural experiences.
Learn about the best things to do in Antigua, Guatemala and plan your next vacation, starting with a Private Antigua Walking Tour.
Disclosure: Write for Travel is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to compensate us by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites at no extra cost to you. We only recommend products that we use and love.
Table of Contents
Step onto the cobblestone-clad streets of colonial Antigua for this flexible-length walking tour. This is a wonderful way to start your exploration of this beautiful UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Top Landmarks of this Private Antigua Walking Tour include:
- ‘Ayuntamiento’ (City Hall Palace),
- Palace of the Captain’s General,
- the main cathedral, and
- Santo Domingo, a well-known hotel and cultural center.
- A final stop at a local jade factory provides additional insight into Guatemala’s Mayan culture.
Included is a bilingual tour guide and all fees and taxes.
Satisfy your appetite for Guatemalan street food during a private half-day tour during which you’ll sample several dishes from stalls and eateries that you might otherwise have missed.
Plus, benefit from the undivided attention of your guide throughout to learn more about Guatemalan cuisine and culture than you would independently.
- Sample the street foods of Antigua during this private evening tour
- Try dishes, ‘comedores’, and street stalls you might otherwise have overlooked
- All tastings, including chalupas, chocolates, and more, are included in the price T
- Private transport
- Take advantage of round-trip transportation from anywhere in Antigua
I’ve done this tour and loved it!
Mix a little bit of adventure and relaxation on this 9-hour day trip. First you ascend Pacaya Volcan and then soak your muscles at Kawilal Hot Springs.
- Scale the 8,300-foot (2,500-meter) heights of Pacaya, one of the most active volcanoes in Guatemala.
- At the top you’ll be able to peer down into the boiling lava of the crater and feel the earth’s rumble. ( I found this exhillerating)
- Descend back down from the summit to enjoy an included lunch.
- Soak in the thermal waters of Kawilal Hot Springs, including 12 soaking pools, 25 steam baths and 3 hydrotherapy baths.
- Your Pacaya day trip also includes:
- entrance fees,
- a guide and
- round-trip hotel transport.
I took the coffee tour without the ATV – but wish I had! It looks like so much fun!
Enjoy caffeine and adrenaline in one tour on this excursion from Antigua. The eclectic tour is sure to please a variety of travelers.
Climb on board your personal ATV and head to a local plantation, where you discover:
- The coffee making process from seed to mug.
- After a hot cup of the local beverage, ride up to Cerro de la Cruz, which offers a spectacular view of the city and surrounding mountains.
- Add some excitement to your Antigua vacation
- Try locally produced Guatemalan coffee
- Discover the end-to-end coffee making process
- Reach El Cerro de la Cruz with ease by ATV
- Coffee and/or Tea
- All Fees and Taxe
The coffee tour lasts about 1 hour once finished you will walk around with our local guide and visit the music museum.
Once finished at the plantation you will hop back on the ATVs and head over to “El Cerro de la Cruz” to visit one of Antiguas most well known and visited landmarks.
Since we are on bikes getting here is easier than taking the hundreds of steps and we enjoy a birds eye view of the colonial city.
One of the highlights of my recent trip to Guatemala was a cooking class – it was fabulous! Highly recommend this.
For those looking to taste the true and traditional flavors of Guatemala, this is the place to visit.
During your cooking class you will learn about Guatemalan food and cooking techniques along with culture and a look into everyday life in the village of Jocotenango.
- Alongside chef Carolina and sous chef Iris you will prepare a typical Guatemalan dish.
- You will have the option to choose from different well-known Guatemalan dishes, such as Pepián, Jocón, Kak’ik, Subanik, Tamales, Chiles Rellenos and typical Guatemalan desserts.
- All the dishes can also be vegetarian.
- Once done with cooking, it’s time to eat, either on the rooftop terrace with a spectacular view of the volcano Agua or in a colonial indoor dining room.
Book your Village Tour on a Chicken Bus now!
If you have always wanted to ride a chicken bus – now’s your chance!
Explore Antiguan history, culture, and cuisine on this half-day chicken bus tour, ideal for travelers tight on time.
Cover more ground than you could on foot and visit unusual places many travelers overlook, such as the San Juan del Obispo Museum and Valhalla Experimental Station.
Plus, enjoy access to communities that you likely couldn’t get if exploring independently.
- Explore more of Antigua and beyond than you could during a walking tour.
- Gain insight into culture, communities, and cuisines that you might not get alone
- Choose the start time that suits you—morning or afternoon
For an adventure that takes you off the beaten path - visit Antigua, Guatemala
Each year more and more people discover the uniqueness of Antigua. It seems that every language in the world is represented here by the cities visitors. It doesn’t matter to me how crowded it gets – I still love Antigua and will keep it on my list of favourites.
Do you have suggestions or additions to the list above? Please share in the comment section and share on your social media accounts.